Marina Trench Facts
- The water temperature in the trench varies between 1 ° C and 4 ° C and thus is close to the freezing point.
*The Mariana Trench is regarded as one of the oldest sea-beds in the world, dating back to 180 million years ago.
- The pressure on the bottom of the Mariana Trench is thousand times higher than the standard atmospheric pressure at sea level.
- The Mount Everest, which has an altitude of 8848 meters in height, can be completely swallowed by the Mariana Trench , which is 2147 meters bigger than the Everest.
- Due to the rights of Guam and the Northern Mariana Islands, the United States of America has the political and economic right to the Mariana Trench.
- Mariana Trench is considered toxic because of its high acidity. Yet, oceanographers have discovered from a mud sample from Challenger Deep that up to 200 different micro-organisms and 2 cm long shrimp-like sea creatures live at the deepest point of the trench.
Documentary on the Mariana Trench