What is Sedentary Lifestyle?
Sedentary lifestyle is a living style with little or no regular physical activity or exercise. According to experts, it is important for individuals to stay healthy by walking 10,000 steps per day or carrying out at least 150 minutes of exercise at medium intensity. However, it seems that more than half of the the world population face health issues due to lack of sufficient physical activity. Sedentary lifestyle emerges as the fourth most important risk factor for death on worldwide basis.
Risks of Physical Inactivity
Sedentary lifestyle leads to obesity, diabetes and some heart diseases. According to research, sedentary lifestyle is responsible for 6% of cases of coronary heart disease, 7% of type 2 diabetes, 10% of breast cancer and 10% of colon cancer cases in the who world. More strikingly, sedentary lifestyle is claimed to cause to more deaths than smoking.
To summarize, health risks imposed by sedentary lifestyle are as follows:
- Increasing vulnerability to some types of cancer such as breast cancer
- Contributing to anxiety and depression
- A risk factor for some cardiovascular diseases
- Triggering obesity
- Reducing skeletal muscles
- Leading to high blood pressure and cholesterol
Sedentary Conditions at Work
We are less and less active physically at work if compared to 50 years ago, and perhaps the most important factor is that information technology has been increasingly used in business environments. On the other hand, it is possible to say that increase in the number of computer-based job description in the private sector and strengthening of the state bureaucracy which requires more civil servant working on desks have contributed sedentary conditions at work. In general, since 1950 jobs described as on-desk have increased by 83%, while jobs requiring physical activity are calculated to account for only 25% of the total workforce.
Avoiding Sedentary Lifestyle
- Exercise at least 90 minutes a day in accordance with your health and age.
- Walk to work or go on a bike. If not possible,then it may be a good idea to get off the bus a few stops before or park your car 1 or 2 km away from your workplace.
- Stay in nature by having a hobby garden or at your backyard.
- Repair things at home by yourself in order to make some physical activity if possible.
- Spend your holidays with active rest instead of sleeping or sunbathing all day.
Harmful Effects of a Sedentary Lifestyle
Watch for more information about the sedentary lifestyle and its harms: